Today I will be elaborating 50 points to discuss the India of my dreams
1. Indian population 65% works in agriculture and 35% in manufacturing and services sector. Out of 35% , 85% works in informal sector with no social security and 15% in formal sector. While contribution of agriculture to GDP is only 17%. Construction sector employs most people after agriculture and it is worst hit post pandemic.
2. India needs National Factories Mission where in 200 cities/towns government sponsered factories providing skills and job for salary of 10k-15k. This mission can give grassroot level jobs and create environment for low end manufacturing. Demand side economy needs to be created , the biggest concern today is generation of jobs.
3. Currently China is leader in low end manufacturing and India is leader in high grade enginering products with very little <0.1% people delivering and services sector. So majority and bulk of people are jobless and only very very few people possess high grade skills, government needs to reverse this situation
4. The priorities of India till 2030 should be only Economy and Science and Technology. The world doesn’t give a shit if countries are economically weak, if the youth isn’t trained in skills, our biggest demographic dividend will be lost. Current government quite good in ease of things and digitization but still a lot to be done.
5. Our society is polarised into factions and vote banks like never before. Social media does played the part, this is for almost all major democracies including US, it is not surprising if in 10 years we see internal civil war within majority and minorities within India. Each state candidates till date work purely on vote banks, govt still keeps distributing to appease voters. Uneducated voters are a curse to 21st century India
6. Indian architecture is fantastic. Right from temple architecture from Gandhara , Nagara and Vesara school of architecture in North to Dravida in south
7. Indian parliament needs special independent committees for review of all the acts. It is physically impossible for 545 Lok Sabha members and 250 Rajya Sabha members to independently review each bill to become an act. But ad hoc committees have consisting of 4–5 members which various expertise have done good work in the past. These days bills are getting passed just in beginning of parliament sessions, which is fundamentally wrong.
8. Automobiles, Pharmaceuticals and IT/ITeS are the industries that are nourished from 2000–2010 , post 2010 to some extend only in renewable energy sector major growth is observed.
9. An independent data protection act needs to be passed. Data is everywhere and insights to data is useful only if it doesn’t interfere with privacy, and Indian govt openly says that it is selling data to private companies and people are okay with this. This needs to be stopped, some day all of our financial data could be hacked. Facial recognision techinques makes the privacy unsafe for all the citizens and especially women who can be tracked anywhere, anytime. This poses a serious threat to the privacy and security.
10. India has done very well in past few years in terms of renewable energy. India’s total capacity is 371 GW and India is committed to make at least 200 GW renewable by 2030, good initiatives.
11. India needs cheap credit amidst with the control of inflation. In US the bank FD rates are 0.25–2 % and also taking loan in US markets will cost near about 0.25%. As an individual who pay his biils in time and want to pay , why as an individual user am not getting loans for home, company, car at 1–2%, this needs to be changed
12. many times the billionares default, most of the times they are wilful defaulters. The banks takes hair cuts as close to 95%, IBC implementing in 2016 was an excellent act, but it gradually lost its significance thanks to political , business nexus.
13. Electoral bonds- People aren’t aware but this is in present one of the most corrupt instruments to deal with. Government has provisioned to get bond for electoral parties to be submitted to banks without revealing the identities. And funny thing is even supreme court is allowing these bonds to be freely available. These instruments will surely undermine the democratic spirit
14. Insolvency and Bankruptcy code- This was a tremendous bill at the time of its creation, did amazing work but again over the period of time it became dull. Thanks to crony capitalism, RRR (Raghuram Rajan) sent 100 most wilful defaulters list to PMO for NPA issue, but he has to leave.
15. In 2021 post pandemic a bad bank is created and its working result is yet to be seen, India had already 26 major ARC’s (Asset Reconstruction Companies) but they take small and medium term loans till 1 Cr, govt backed bad bank could take 1000s crore loans to recover NPAs.
16. Pakistan and Afghanistan — Hypocrisy. Pakistan’s Balochistan gave refuge to all Al-Qaeda and Talibani insurgents and also kept fooling US by taking monetary aid for 20 years. Afghanistan accepts everything in accordance to sharia law but earns hefty revenue from opium trade.
17. Privatise PSU’s- Although its a debate but still on a personal note I would recommend to privatise PSUs with health COMPETITION COMMISSION and regulatory checks. The managers in PSU’s as a part of decision making are super efficient, and so are in PSBs , but they lack independent desicion making. RBI saved democracy and indian banking by not lending banks to corporate houses.
18. PLI schemes for all sectors, automobile, telecom are great way to improve investor confidence. But it is not as efficient in creating required jobs, government is not been able to create skill based jobs and now rely on free markets. Cooperatives are seen a way to create jobs
19. Stock market rallies are the result of mid cap companies acquiring market share due to post covid. The startups have done great job and investment inflow via indian based startups is preferably more desirable than companies from abroad acquiring stake.
20. Indian defense forces are one amongst the best in the world. Only 2 nations can beat in terms of technological prowess. And those 2 countries are world’s 1st and 2nd economies respectively. But it is hard to beat india on a man to man basis. Middle east nations stand nowhere when it comes to hand-on-hand combat. Indian navy is also not easy to get away with. Always feel great for the defense forces, the are the best in the business, recently India imported Russia’s S-500 advance version from S-400 Air defense system
21. It is an individual right for each citizen to demand for free education and healthcare for government, private firms are sucking common man’s wealth when it comes to prviding these stuff to the populace. Like the CDN concept of Infosys, the chain should be made which makes these services accessible at a par cost.
22. Why import substitution is not a good policy in Neoliberal economics and more prevalent in India in 1950s,60s and 70s. When the nations cut imports in order to appease local manufacturer, the R&D costs, the local manufacturing start to build mediocre products and cycle continues wherein they bribe local governments to keep cutting imports
23. Why India refused Carbon’s net zero emission. The per capita carbon dioxide emissions for the west are trmendous as compared to developing countries like India and until they don’t reduce, everything wont matter much to the IPCC report of 1.5 degree rise. India is still relevant on coal for at least 50 more years and can’t cut short on it. Sri Lanka in order to make whole country’s farming organic in one go has to suffer because agricultural input gone down and tourism didn’t flourished in covid times and hence there foreign reserve went very low
24. Nehru’s has been underrated with a bit skeptic about capitalism model after 200 years of foreign rule, he was weak and under influence of others in foreign policies. His socialism characteristics have created mixed reviews with superb actions of creation of premier institutions like ISRO, DRDO, dams, IITs, IIMs, Atomic department and at the same time license permit raj, Indira Gandhi superbly handled all internal disturbances pertaining to militism in Bangladesh and Punjab, and abolishing privy purses, but she manipulated the constitution way too much, Rajiv Gandhi brought Sam Pitroda and Telecom Revolution and digital age but his decisions related to religious and social issues were a disaster
25. History of India is complex. But it can be divided into 4 periods-Ancient, Classical, Medieval and Modern. Ancient comprise od Indus valley Period,Vedic period,Mahajanpadas, Nanda Dynasty. Classical includes Mauryas, Shunga, Kanva, Kushan, Satvahana, Gupta dynasties. Medieval had Chalkuya, Harsha, Karakota, Arab invasion, Tripartite struggle, Cholas, Delhi Sultanate, Pandyan, Vijayanagar, Bengal dynastics, and Modern includes Mughal,Maratha, Company Raj, Sikh Empire, Great rebellion, British raj and Independent India
26. India has some of the greatest places worth visit. Darejeeling, Jabalpur in Monsoons is nature’s paradise people don’t know. Sand dunes from jaisalmer, Mountain ranges of Leh Ladakh, Rain abundant Konkan and north east, 12 jyotirlingams, 51 shaktipeeths, 4 dhams, Backwaters of Kerala, Badami caves, Ajanta ellora caves, Barabar caves, Bhimbetka caves, accoustic wonders of Gol Gumbaz and Golconda , Indo gothic architectures of Goa, Mumbai, Kolkata, and lots more equally developed with its own set of traditions, lifestyles in each part is unique in itself.
27. For British to administer India wasn’t an easy task. But their tactics and laws worked for them. Starting with Anglo Mysore wars, then Anglo maratha wars and finally Anglo Sikh wars were the major ones. The Subsidiary Alliance , Doctrine of Lapse, Permanent Settlements, Zamindari, mahalwari, Ryotwari models and princely states form of governmetns helped to ease their expedition.
28. Integrated guided missile development programme by Abdul Kalam has made India’s deterrance unparallel within world image. We have Surface to surface Prithvi, ICBM Agni with nuclear arsenal, Trishul Surface to Air, Anti Tank Nag, Akash Medium range surface to Air. In Sept 2021, India tested Agni-V and India also has fastest cruise missile on Earth BrahMos. Also India is planning to release its 3rd Aircraft Carrier by 2022 and submerine based ballistic missiles K-15 Sagarika, K4
29. If the speculation purpose is removed, then blockchain is a very good alternative for global trade. Why US should always be the boss and keep sanctioning 2 countries if they indulge in dollar as reserve currency. Why should it flow through American system? Central banks adjusting currency rates according to their export and import which impacts purchasing parity of common person isn’t needed. A lot of government regulation and unnecessary powers of governments and central banks can be reduced with it.
30. In early vedic periods, after Indus Valley Civilisations, partial agriculture started flourishing. As a result, people were started classfied on basis of work they do, and thus caste systems came to being. By later vedic periods, permanent settlements due to agriculture and invention of iron led to more eastern movement of gangetic plains and caste systems got rigid. Small clans were called janas, from janas came jadapas. When janapadas combined, they were called Mahajanpadas. There were total 16 mahajanpadas amongst which Magadha ultimately got powerful
31. Magadha became powerful because it was surrounded by mountains, agriculture rose to feed large standing army, its strategic location was accessible to whole of India and it was today’s mineral rich area of Chotanagpur belt. But caste system was prevalent. Brahmins and Kshatriyas had privileges whereas traders and workers were kept low. It was because of these that Buddhism and Jainism thought came. Buddhist and Jainism gave the traders equal status which hinduism couldn’t give. The powerful trading community thus adopted these. Even to this date, jain are powerful trading elite whose infludence can be seen in Rajasthani and Gujarati architectures.
32. Buddhism got prevalent during Ashoka’s time and Central Asian tribes adopted it as well, Kanishka adopted it. The Indo-Greek-Synthian amalgamation of architects led to development of Gandhara style out of Nagara style. Mauryas also adopted Buddhism very well, India once could have been Buddhist nation but everything changed from Shunga dynasty. The rise of Adi Shankaracharya, Bhakti movements, Meth establishments, Ramayana, Mahabharata epics revival , Dhams, etc made hinduism again dominant.
33. Today the world is divided in industries, almost all ASEAN tigers are known for semiconductor and electronics industry, Middle East is prevalent for Oil, China is powerhouse of manufacturing, Japan is famous for Cars, electronics, robotics- India has edge in IT/ITeS , Medical tourism- Europe famous for almost all industries but in low scale, but Europe still has the best human rights and US is known for all products R&D (Most evolved Tech, Finance, Entertainment, etc ) industries. Russia known for minerals and mathematical and Scientific IP , Africa and SAARC and Latin America all have low per capita and still needs to develop industries
34. Within the states of India we have regional variations. Punjab, haryana and Western UP are famous for extensive agriculture, Gujarat and Maharashtra belt for cotton and trades, Chotanagpur belt for Minerals, Kerala for spices, Assam for Tea, karnataka for Coffee, largest forest in Madhya Pradesh, South India fare better in HDI, only 5 states Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Delhi gives more tax to center than it receives. In terms of remittances received, India is one of largest recipient in world. But it also varies, Andhra gets most of its remittances from USA, Kerala from UAE,Punjab from Canada, Tamil Nadu has most diverse mix-Australia, Canada, France, Malaysia, US etc
35. In 1992, in Rio de Janerio , the Earth Summit was held. It created 3 organs- UNFCCC, SDG (Agenda 21) and CBD. Before this Stockholm conference in 1972 created UNEP. India also passed Willife Protection Act in 1972, and Environmental Protection Act in 1972 as Indira Gandhi was very much conscious about the environment. CBD conventions held were Basel Convention for hazardous wastes, Rotterdam convention on chemicals, Minamata convention on Mercury utilisation, Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. Montreal Protocol for Ozone depletion in 1987 this also created Vienna conventions, Kigali Amendment for Montreal protocol. UNFCCC had Kyoto Protocol. detailed rules of Kyoto Protocol held in Marrakesh Agreement.
36. Constitution. India has a beautifully written constitution with a lot of brains involved having a blend of colonial history and recommendations of all world’s constitutional features. When I first read the polity, it sucked , lot of boring stuff, but subsequently as you dig deeper you will find that how for each outcome the constitution prescribed a way forward, and amendments in the constitution carrying that way forward. To my understanding, some most argued points are article 13 vs arcticle 368, fundamental rights opposite to directive principles, controversial Schedule IX and amendment 42, article 32 writs. ADRs and Tribunals are innovative ideas.
37. China is always a big and interesting issue to study and learn. China and India — 2 largest democracies wih best Demographic Dividend are now following entirely opposite paths. China’s crackdown on its tech, education industries is to improve the income inequality even though per capita income of China has been 5 times more than India. India on the other hand, income inequality is increasing. With demonetisation, GST and Covid, most of MSMEs are shut down and blue chip companies acquired more market share. Although China’s total debt to GDP ratio is 2.75 times means China’s debt is close to 40 Trillion but external debt is only 2.75 trillion.
38. China’s only one year exports are close to 2.5 Trillion i.e. GDP of India. As India’s largest trading partner, the trade has only increased after banning apps and skirmishes on border. The evergrande crisis, close to 300 Billion is 0.5 times debt and investors got bailed out by Communist Party of China in less than 2 weeks. The only industry where China still struggles is making of chips and Fabs which TSMC of taiwan is giant in. This industry takes 15–20 years to setup. The reverse engineering model of China has been fairly successful. US wanted to capture China’s markets and thus allowed its entry in WTC in 2001. But with semi skilled labour force programmes created by Deng Xiaoping in early 1990s actually reversed the trend making US companies to shift their manufacturing base in China, a process called ‘Offshoring’. By 2008s Subprime Mortgage crisis in US, China acted as banker to the US getting bonds at cheap prices. Today with 3.3 Trillion of Forex Reserves, China can pay its 2.75 Trillion of external debt within minutes. Now world is adopting China+1 model of manufacturing. Vietnam and Bangladesh have done fairly well in some time.
39. No government in India can ever do the caste census, because it topples the very foundations to members. The lower castes coming under two third of population has very less involvement in politics and businesses, the stark reality the census can create can topple any government. Most of the tickets are still shared under caste name in India.
40. India’s Total fertility rate is already below the replacement rate of 2.1 except in few states. No policy can have much impact on it now, India’s population will rise to 160 Crores till 2050 because the longevity of healthcare will not make the people die too early. By 2100, India’s population will be 95 Crores, all data is fixed.
41. Indian school of philosophy is divided in 2 modes-Astika and Nastika. Astika mode has 6 subsects- Vedanta, Yoga, Nyaya, Mimansa, Vaisheshika, Sankhya. Nastika mode has 4 subsects- Buddhism, jainism, Ajivikas, Charvakas. Vedanta is further clasified in 2 subsects- Dvaita vedanta and Advaita vedanta. Along with 4 vedas we have Upnishads, 18 puranas. The most famous ancient books are Arthashastra by Kautilya, Natyashastra by Bharatmuni, Kamasutra etc
42. Corruption- Corruption is rampage in India. On dealing with theory, on a practical note, there was a NRI who wanted to set up his factory in Punjab, and his investment was 100 Crores and ruling party asked him for 20 Crores in orer to make all clearances. In government departments, party asks for 2–3 lakhs for making the deeds done. Once we went Himachal (Mashobra) and the cab driver said his brother got a job as government driver with monthly pay 70–80k, and we asked why he didn’t applied, he said his brother paid 5 lakh rupees to get the job done.And there are a lot of examples. Lokpal created is a joke. The committee is seen spending money on 5 star restaurants from taxpayers money. It is better not to have Lokpal than have it. Forget about State legislatures- Lokayuktas, State election commission. The machinery inside is very very corrupted. India has very low rank in Corruption Perception Index.
43. I also had faced a share of corruption. As an undergraduate student in Chandigarh, I was minor and didn’t paid for driving license challan and thought getting it from district court when officer said to me on spot is Rs 300 and from court is Rs 100. I have to pay Rupees 500 just to get my name done up, otherwise the procedure was to register at 9 AM and turn up at 4 PM. Actual challan was 100 rupees and I ended up paying 600. Any court case is a mess, it did take a lot of “working” time in order to get bail done, getting justice is not just monetarily costly but timely cost and emotional upheavel is a lot. There are 3.9 Crore cases pending in courts as of today. On another case, I didn’t recived driving license after 1 year even after paying 4k. Passport office is ok thanks to TCS outsourcing. Once I went to EPFO office and just to get my acount statement , I have to stay for 4 hours there going from one counter to another , from one form to other. Online is good, stay away from government machinery.
44. The problem with tech giants acquiring all the market share in almost everywhere is lack of no of jobs generation. The big retail superchains and e commerce provide excellent services and no problem for discounts or user perspectives- but they are killing small MSMEs and local businessmen. These giant supertech companies will have to be sliced to various sub domains. Its good as a consumer if I get broadband connection at dirt cheap price in India than in US but they kill competition in such a way that it would be hard to stand out for new ventures to compete, competition commission in India again can’t be compared to antitrust laws in USA.
45. The fundamental extremism in Indian society is ripping the society apart. India has lots of issues with China border, Pakistan, along with anti insurgeant groups in J&K along with naxalites and North East Movements. I haven’t included here religious fundamentalism at all, though India has managed to bring Punjab to normalcy and LTTE to an end (Thanks to Sri Lanka Army, although the atrocities done will kill human rights concept)
46. Foreign Policy- Isarel and Russia are our greatest friends, many countries treat India as favourable because of ever increasing trade and non violence policy. UAE, Saudi Arabia and Middle East in this regard. USA, Australia, NZ, Canada and UK because of commonwealth background do favour India in new world order in against of China, Pakistan, Turkey nexus. Japan has always been an export led economy for which India has always been a favourable market, and India enjoys historical roots with ASEAN giants and Fiji as well. West Indies love India because of ancestors been there and Cricket, and so does South Africa for large scale FDI from Indian point. All smaller countries in general SAARC have received very well aid and African countries as well. But Russia and African countries are more aligned to China these days, Phillipines consider India as competitor as for service sector jobs, India’s problem with China has been that we have very few Mandarin speaking experts to be able to understand China policy well. European countries have less diplomatic and more trade related relations, the exchange rate of India is a factor never attractive for Europe to get Indian markets. Latin America is too distance so normal relations. India’s diplomatic relations with USA have improved but US has so complex society and economy that influx of Indian exchange still doesn’t impact US too much. India’s trade with USA is at no 2 after UAE.
47. Immunization Programme — AIDS has been a very successful programme from 1990s-2015s. Our universal immunization programme has been success despite the challenges. In terms of agricultural and horticultural production- India has always been in top 10 but in malnourishment as well because of Income Inequality. India has already been Cholera and Polio free. By 2025 it is targeted to be TB free as well. The first vaccine for Malaria has just been approved. In terms of AIDS, India developed vaccine that was 100 times less costly than Western vaccines and hence restricted AIDS in Africa as well. The space programme of India has been phenomenal.
48. The factors for rise in share markets from April 2020 till today has been- lot of wealth flowing from China to India amidst Credit crunching from CPC resulting in Technical, educational and real estate companies hitting in China, less Bank FD returns hence a lot more people investing in Mutual Funds, government cutting the corporate tax in lakh crores thereby increasing their intrinsic value (the govt compensates from middle man from petrol/diesel hikes), a lot of promise in Indian markets making FDI investments from foreign through automatic routes, because of shift in consumer base from 6 lakh MSMEs, market cap of midcap and bluechip companies rising sharply
49. 5 Crore school children are out of schools post covid. Online education in villages isn’t viable because of no gadgets/devices+ internet connectivity. Except for a very few genuine online educators , rest happening is just “joomla” (hiring SRK, sending Business Executive job offers every 1 month or sponsering Indian Cricket Team), or “India’s largest learning (bullshit) platform”, Right to education should be free. MBBS is out of context if not good rank in NEET or spending 60 lakhs to 5 Cr for seats in India. Infosys , TCS and Wipro are lot to be appreciated in terms of GENERATING EMPLOYMENT only, private sector does pretty neat and awesome stuff
50. Voter priorities- Freebies need to be removed. Ballot paper should be used, even EVM is not reliable, earlier ballot paper votes were collected in stadium and mix randomly so remove the trace of location and today we are planning to link Aadhar via voter card (so data will be saved which voter voted whom), criminality in parliament needs to be stopped but it has just rose from past times and urban planning is required must to create new smart cities for India, ideally each govt should handle only 3–4 Crores people (means UP should be split to 5 states) but no state will do it in power.
51. Responsibility of police needs to be divided. The investigation wing should be separate from patrolling wing. The police on duty for MLAs, MPs scrunity needs to be reduced, and also in practical the way police treats public is worrisome, Rule of Law and democracy is still is in its nascent stage